Who is Joanna Wiebe?
Joanna Wiebe is the founder of Copyhackers, a Copywriting Training Company. She wrote an article that ranks at the top of Google for “Facebook Ad Copywriter” – which many would think makes her a top-notch “Facebook Ad Copywriter.” But…
Is Joanna a top-notch copywriter?
Let’s see. I read her article about Facebook Ads. It’s interesting, and she makes a great point that the image is the most important part of the ad. Now, anyone who runs Facebook Ads already knows this fact. But, for a newbie Facebook Marketer, this is good information.
But, some things concern me about her copywriting. For example…
It appears Joanna stole Grant Cardone’s 10X Big Idea and copied it onto all of her products.
Here’s a screenshot of all her Copywriting Courses for sale:
The screenshot was taken in August 2020. You can still see the course names on Wayback Machine.
She even has a course called 10x Freelance Copywriter.
Notice that every single one of her courses is “10X __?” What’s she going to roll out next: 10X Webinars 🙄?
Here’s why this is a problem.
As a copywriter, the most important thing you can do is develop fresh, new, compelling ideas that generate sales for the product or service you are offering.
If you can’t come up with fresh, new ideas, then your sales copy won’t bring in sales. I can think of a few fresh, new product names… and these aren’t even my products.
For example, what does 10X Web Copy even mean?
- Does it mean that you are going to get 10X more sales when you use it?
- Is it 10X more “hip” than other web copy?
- Is it 10X more “cultured” than other web copy?
If you can figure it out, then let me know.
Here are a few product names she could have used instead:
- How To Write A Six-Figure Email. I’ve written many emails that have brought in six figures in revenue. So, this product name is realistic.
- Million Dollar Facebook™ Ads. I’ve created a few Ads that have brought in over a million dollars in revenue. So, this product name is not hype.
- How To Create A Million Dollar Sales Funnel. One good sales funnel can bring in a million dollars in revenue. So, that name is completely realistic.
- Conversion Crushing Landing Pages. OK, that’s a little hypey. But, it’s still better than simply plastering “10X” on all your product names.
Hmm… what’s a good name for that launch product? I know Jeff Walker became famous for the Product Launch Formula. That’s a good name with an implied benefit. But, 10X Launches? If I had time to dig into the product I’m sure I could come up with a good name. But, that’s not my job. It’s Joanna’s job, because it’s her product.
But it gets worse.
Look at this sub-headline on her course for the 10X Freelance Copywriter.
Everyone in the Direct Response Marketing World knows who coined the term: “No B.S.” Dan Kennedy originated it and wrote a whole series of books on the subject. His book, No B.S. Business Success was one of the best business books I ever read.
I wouldn’t dare use that phrase in any of my marketing because people would laugh at me. It’s bad enough that Dan Kennedy is close to death, but to use one of his best known terms like that is sad. But, that’s not all…
Take a minute and read that sub- headline again:
“The 10x Freelance Copywriter will arm you with the no-BS strategies and techniques to 10x the best of your business.”
Notice that the sub-headline is weak? Can anyone tell me what “10X the best of your business” even means? Anyways… let’s continue. Here’s the real question that matters.
Does Joanna know how to write high-converting sales copy?
I’ll admit, she does look polished and professional. Probably has a fancy Marketing Degree. Proudly displays pictures of herself and other people smiling happily on her website. Is backed up by a team of smart, professional looking people.
But, can she write copy that brings in sales at a profit? We don’t know. Here’s a way for us to find out. Why don’t we have a good, old fashioned duel. Actually, that’s kind of “low-culture.” So, if you prefer, we’ll call it a friendly competition. So, here’s my challenge to Joanna.
Joanna, I challenge you to a Copywriting Duel.
We’ll each write 10 Facebook™ Ads for Grant Cardone. That should make him feel better for what appears to be a knock off of his 10X Big Idea.
And, it’s a way for you to prove that you can write high-converting sales copy. Grant’s team will run the ads and let us know which person’s ads convert the best.
It would be a Win-Win for everyone.
- Joanna gets to sleep better at night, knowing she made things right.
- Grant gets some free ads written by two top copywriters.
- Joanna and I enjoy some friendly copywriting competition.
Here are some simple terms for the Duel:
- We each write 10 Ads that can be used on Facebook™ and Instagram™. The ads have to be easy to run. No complicated videos Grant has to record just right. Just use inexpensive, publicly available images or videos you can get from Shutterstock, Pixabay, Canva, etc.
- Grant’s Media Buying Team runs the ads.
- Whoever has more total spend on their ads wins. This is a good barometer because good media buyers only spend money on ads that convert.
Joanna, do you accept my challenge? Then contact me and we’ll get started.
The World’s Best Ad Copywriter
About the Author
Ben Curry specializes in creating Winning Ads for Facebook™, Instagram™, and other Advertising Platforms that beat the “control.”
He has created many high-converting Facebook™ Ads that brought in six figures in revenue. A few have brought in over a million dollars in sales each. Many are still running today.
In addition, he personally manages over $2 Million a year in ad spend. His ad management strategies have improved results substantially by increasing spend – while reducing CAC – at the same time.