Rudy Mawer runs many ads promoting his 7-Day Ads Masterclass. He shows up in your feed over and over and over again. Which would make you think his ads are amazing. But are his ads actually that great? I don’t know.
Here are some reasons his ads may not be that great:
Reason #1. Rudy is selling to a 🔥 hot market.
Have you ever heard the saying “It’s better to sell Picks and Shovels than Mine for Gold?” It’s a true statement. Obviously the “Run Ads on Facebook” Trend is hot, enabling Rudy to run so many ads profitably.
It’s a lot harder to make sales in a market that’s not red hot. And, it’s even harder to make a living when you only get paid when your customers find gold. I only get paid when my customers actually strike gold because I work as a Commission Only Copywriter.
But, Rudy gets paid whether or not you strike gold because he asks for money upfront for his products, coaching, Masterminds, etc. And, that’s ok. Lots of people willingly pay for it, and I’m sure it works for some of them.
Reason #2. Rudy doesn’t talk about his struggles or failures.
Most of his ads go straight to the offer, tell about how amazing he is, how he’s spent millions of dollars on ads, etc.
But, none of them talk about his struggles. There is no cliffhanger: “My back was against the wall. My life was over. 😭 I’d failed so miserably,and nothing I was doing was working. I was about to give up until I noticed one little thing. I tried it out, and it worked. 🙌 And now I want to share it with you…”
Let’s face it. No one ever experiences win after win after win. And, if they only talk about their wins but no losses, then they’re “full of it.”
And, in case you’re wondering, I’ve had my share of failures:
- My ads have failed miserably.
- My sales emails have failed.
- My sales funnels have failed.
- My webinars have failed.
But, I kept going and eventually, my successes outweighed my failures. In fact, I was about to give up on copywriting right before I wrote my first big breakthrough ad. And, that ad has brought in almost $2 million in revenue.
That ad brought that client almost $100,000 in revenue last month. I’m still flabbergasted that it works so well. I’m surprised it’s still running strong after six years of use. But, anyways… this blog post is not about me. It’s about Rudy. So, let’s continue.
Reason #3. Rudy only has a few different ads running for his products.
I pulled up his ads on Facebook™, and here were the big ideas for his ads selling his 7-Day Ads Masterclass Product.
Here were the big ideas for those ads:
- “STOP GAMBLING WITH Facebook™ Ads.”
- “Don’t get beaten by Facebook™ ads!”
- “Ready to WIN with Facebook™ Ads?”
- “My Ads Will Beat Yours Or It’s FREE!” ← Note: This is a “Level 10” Ad. It’s probably his best because it’s been running the longest.
- “It’s Time to Finally WIN with Ads – Guaranteed!”
- “This Is A Paid Ad Targeting Small Businesses and Marketers”
Now, you may be thinking, “But, that’s six different ads! That’s more ads than I have for my business.” Ok. But, I’ve learned that you need dozens of different ads and several different offers/funnels if you really want to scale ads up.
Here’s an example of why you need dozens of different ads.
I recently helped a client who was spending over a million dollars a year on Paid Ads increase increase sales by 106% in 5 Months – and kept CAC flat at the same time. I didn’t do that with just six ads. Nope! I rolled out dozens of new ads, and a dozen or so became “controls.” But, we wouldn’t have been able to scale as much with just a few ads.
You’ll find that if you want to scale, then you must do the following:
- Roll out dozens of fresh, new ads.
- Splinter your offers with new front-end offers and hooks to promote them.
An excellent example of splintering is Russell Brunson. He has one core product: Clickfunnels. But, he’s constantly rolling out new offers and sales funnels. This has enabled him to scale ClickFunnels to over $100 Million a month in revenue. Which leads to my next point.
Reason #4. Rudy has not splintered his Ad Product – from what I can see.
His longest-running ad is “My Ads Will Beat Yours Or It’s FREE!” He should turn his product into a 7-Day Ads Challenge and then write more ads promoting it. This makes me think that this product is just a little “side hustle” and he’s too busy with all the other things he’s doing.
Reason #5. Rudy is not running any of the most common Ad Types that are proven to convert.
If you want to scale up the ads for an offer, then you have to create some of the following types of ads.
- “Before & After” Story Ads. I’ve brought in millions of dollars in sales from this type of ad. This is where you talk about your struggles/failures and how you overcame them. It[‘s crazy how well these ads convert. I’ve recently had some big wins with this ad type, and I can’t believe I didn’t run more of them sooner! Right now, it’s my best “go-to” Ad Framework. I don’t see any on Rudy’s ad account. 🤔
- Borrowed Proof Ads. I’ve brought in over $1.6 Million in Revenue from this type of Ad. I don’t see any on Rudy’s ad account.
- Remove Pain Ads. I’ve brought in over $2 Million in Revenue from this type of Ad. OK, maybe the “Stop Gambling” & ‘Don’t get beaten” Ads that Rudy uses qualify for this type of ad. But, he doesn’t talk about the pain enough.
- Mechanism Ads. I’ve brought in over $2 Million in Revenue from this type of Ad. I don’t see any on Rudy’s ad account.
- Secret Ads. I don’t see any on Rudy’s ad account.
- Testimonial/Case Study Ads. I’ve brought in over $1 Million in Revenue from this type of Ad. I don’t see any on Rudy’s ad account.
- Horror Story Ads. I’ve brought in over $1 Million in Revenue from this type of Ad. I don’t see any on Rudy’s ad account.
These ad types are my main “Go-To” Ad Frameworks. But, from what I can see – he’s not running many of these types of ads.
Reason #6. Rudy isn’t willing to create ads for you on a Commission Only Basis.
He wants you to pay upfront for his 7-Day Masterclass Course. He probably wants you to pay thousands up front for his 3-Day In-Person Mastermind. Yes, he probably has some money-back guarantee on these offers.
But, they require two things:
- You have to invest your hard-earned money upfront.
- You have to create the ads yourself. Yes, you can use his training. But, you still have to follow the training, create the ads, and hope that they work.
If his ads product is so great, then he could offer it on a commission-only basis. Or, even better, he could create the ads for you and only get paid if they convert. But, so far, he hasn’t offered that yet.
And, in case you’re wondering, I do write ads on a Commission Only Basis. I can’t work with everyone. But, if it makes sense, I’m happy to create ads on commission for you. Contact me for more info.
Reason #7. Rudy isn’t using many different images for his ads.
A simple and easy way to scale up your ads is by running them with more images. Here’s an example of how this works.
I recently “Image Scaled” an ad with a great new image. And, as a result, the client was able to generate an additional 92 Sales with a 31% reduction in CAC.
So, a great image can enable you to scale a converting ad – while reducing cost at the same time. And, it’s a lot easier to find fresh, new images than to write fresh new ads.
This is why I collect images, memes, and other forms of visual communication like a Carpenter collects tools.
From what I can see, Rudy is using four videos and one image in his seven different ads that promote his Better Ads Product. He could get a lot more sales if he tried out other videos, images, etc.
Ok, enough about all the reasons Rudy may not be the best Ad Copywriter. Here’s the real question we must ask.
Does Rudy know how to create high-converting ads for your business?
Yes, he claims to spend over $200,000 a day on ads. He claims to have sold tens of millions of dollars worth of products with paid ads. But, he’s not doing that great of a job with the ads to sell his “Ad Product.” Which makes you wonder.
Can he write ads for your business that bring in sales at a profit? We don’t know. But, here’s a great way for us to find out. Why don’t we have a good, old-fashioned duel and find out once and for all? And that’s why…
Rudy, I challenge you to an Ad Copywriting Duel:
We’ll each write 10 Facebook™ Ads for your Russell Brunson’s One Funnel Away Offer. That would enable you to become familiar with a challenge offer so you can roll one out for your Facebook™ Ad Product.
And, it’s a way for you to prove that you can write high-converting sales copy. Russell’s Media Buying Team will run the ads and let us know which person’s ads convert the best.
Here are some simple terms for the Duel:
- We each write 10 Ads that can be used on Facebook™ and Instagram™. The ads have to be easy to run. No complicated videos Grant has to record just right. Just use inexpensive, publicly available images or videos you can get from Shutterstock, Pixabay, Canva, etc.
- Russell’s Media Buying Team runs them.
- Whoever has more total spend on their ads wins. This is a good barometer because good media buyers only spend money on ads that convert.
- If I win the duel, I get paid 10% of the ad spend, greater than $1,000 – for life – as a sales commission for the “mini-salesperson” I created in my winning ad.
Rudy, do you accept my challenge? Then contact me, and we’ll get started.
The World’s Best Ad Copywriter
About the Author
Ben Curry specializes in creating Winning Ads for Facebook™, Instagram™, and other Advertising Platforms that beat the “control.”
He has created many high-converting Facebook™ Ads that brought in six figures in revenue. A few have brought in over a million dollars in sales each. Many are still running today.
In addition, he personally manages over $2 Million a year in ad spend. His ad management strategies have improved results substantially by increasing spend – while reducing CAC – at the same time.